FNG Guide: Viet Cong Starter Kit Under $100

PAVN forces, including VC, uniforms

FNG Guide: Viet Cong Starter Kit Under $100

Postby roger » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Budget being the determining factor of this Guide, let's take a look at what a beginner can accomplish with as little money as possible to get into Vietnam Airsoft, VNAS, OPFOR.

About your airsoft gun: There are many AK's out there. Get a good AK47 and a few magazines. You won't want a carbine, or folding stock- get a regular full sized rifle. TM and CMYA make solid AK's that are good for VNAS, and you likely already have one! :D

Next, your "uniform." Remember that the VC are farmers and peasants. They're fighting "guerilla" style against the USFOR so you won't need rucksacks, a lot of web gear, or anything super special to have an "accurate" looking kit. These men and women plowed their fields all day and raided allied forces during the night. They hid their weapons in pits, down wells, and under rice bags. They wore their regular clothing, for both fighting and farming, so feel free to mix in color as you build your impression.

But, you have to start somewhere, right? The easiest place to begin is with a Kung Fu uniform. http://www.karatedepot.com/un-sp-04.html For around $30 USD you can get a shirt and pants that will satisfy the VC impression. Sure you can add other colors besides black, but black is the most common color Westerners associate with the Viet Cong.

Next ... shoes. The VC were barefoot. Seriously. However, you might not want to do that while playing airsoft. So, "steal" a pair of US jungle boots, or wear some Tabi http://www.karatedepot.com/wp-ni-14.html and use them instead. Sure Tabi are not "accurate" but they're a full covered "boot" and can be worn in the field.

If you want something a bit different, then get Tabi socks and wear them with some bamboo slippers http://www.bellissimabridalshoes.com/pr ... 6891.shtml? Either way, you're looking at around $30 USD for shoes.

The VC may have only carried 1 magazine each, but we know you'll want more than that! Get an OD Chinese chest rig for the AK. They're very cheap at around $15 USD.

Better yet, use a US Army "but pack" and a GP sling. You'll wear it like a messenger bag and it can hold your ammo, magazines, water and lunch for the day.

Top it off with a floppy US "boonie" style hat and you're set. Steer clear of the conical rice hat, that's fine for "harvesting rice" but will fall off when you're airsoft skirmishing.

There, you're set. Kit is complete for under $100 USD - you already have an AK right? ;)

Have fun!
roger
Three tour deathwish

Re: FNG Guide: Viet Cong Starter Kit Under $100

Postby flakjacket68 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:42 pm

If you have a M16A1 already that would be real nice for VC too, plus you could use some captured US stuff or for what Im going to do for my VC impression w/ the M16A1, just cut a bandoleer on the strap and tie it as a belt, plus thats 7 mags you could carry, simple, light, and very Guerrilla
My impressions currently for Vietnam, NVA/PAVN/VC/Viet Minh
flakjacket68
Re-upped for a second tour

Postby Congofal » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Dickies black shirt $14
Black scrub pants $9
Tan hat $5

Instant VC
LE DIABLE MARCHE AVEC NOUS
Almighty Almighty, this is PBR Street Gang. Radio check, over!
Almighty Almighty calling PBR Street Gang...calling PBR Street Gang...
Official vnas Shit-stirrer know it all .
Congofal

Postby Wild Bill » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:31 am

:D :D :D

Just add water?

Nice write up again Roger 8-)
Wild Bill
Three tour deathwish

Postby roger » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:35 pm

Ed- great VC kit man! Shows how cheap, quick and cool VNAS can be.
Thanks Bill.
roger
Three tour deathwish

Postby Maffyx » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Just on a side note about the footwear, if you're just going to a non playing event the listed options would probably be fine. However if you're going to play I would highly suggest you not wear anything open footed, IE the sandals as it would be easy to get injured. Wearing jungle boots would be fine and would probably feel better. Only reason I say jungle boots as we dropped them all over the country expecting them to pick them up and wear them. This was done to try and confuse our opponents of our location. I've never seen the Tabi boots before but they look like an excellent option as well if you don't want to buy other boots.
"Fox"
Maffyx
Three tour deathwish

Postby flakjacket68 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:06 pm

plus i bet they took boots off our dead
My impressions currently for Vietnam, NVA/PAVN/VC/Viet Minh
flakjacket68

Postby roger » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:11 pm

I agree. (that's what my first suggestion was) jungle boots would be my first choice too. ;) however, I wanted to post a kit that was cheap and easy for a majority of new players to get into. The focus on these "guides" that I've been writing isn't for reenacting accuracy, but for "intro" level fun-factor.
roger
Three tour deathwish

Postby Maffyx » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:27 pm

ssgtlou wrote:I agree. (that's what my first suggestion was) jungle boots would be my first choice too. ;) however, I wanted to post a kit that was cheap and easy for a majority of new players to get into. The focus on these "guides" that I've been writing isn't for reenacting accuracy, but for "intro" level fun-factor.

Woops must have read over it, sorry! But those Tabi boots are pretty interesting.
"Fox"
Maffyx
Three tour deathwish

Postby LT Tom » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:47 pm

flakjacket68 wrote:plus i bet they took boots off our dead

They didn't have to. We GAVE them boots. The US airdropped boots all over Vietnam.

This is a great guide for someone getting started. Great work Roger!
RECONDO Graduate, 2009
LT Tom

Next

Return to NVA/VC Uniforms